Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tomatoes

I went a bit overboard with tomatoes this year.

I planted over a hundred--quite by accident. I started the plants all from seed, making sure to plant a few extra in case the seeds did not come up. Well, they all did, and I planted all the seedlings because I couldn't bear not to.

They were wonderful--all heirloom varieties with names like Mark Twain, Gardeners Delight, Orange Paste Tomato... They were prolific as well, and continue to be so as the frost nears. I fear I will have a lot of green tomatoes to deal with and will need to find recipes for pickles, relishes and more.

Cleaning Tomatoes

In the sink

and in the tub.




Making Sun Dried Tomatoes

This is a simple and delicious way to take care of cherry tomatoes when they split on the vine before you can catch them.

Simply cut them in half, and place them on the trays of the dehydrator. After about 12 hours, you will have delicious tomatoes that can be frozen then used at a moment's notice.


Green Tomato Pickles

I used the recipe from Favorite Pickles and Relishes by Andrea Chesman.


As to the rest (so far), Tim and I made batches of tomato sauce, and I froze a bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contextual Links