Tuesday, October 4, 2011

2 October 2011

Sunday was spent much of the day working on a giant, 15 pound Hubbard squash I picked up from the local orchard (the girls and I picked up apples and cider).

I baked the squash until it was soft, then puréed it in the food processor. I used a recipe I found here http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1950,147186-236204,00.html, though I found that I had to bake the squash for an hour or a little more (lost track) thanks to it being so large.

I reserved six cups to make soup, then used a cup to make squash pasta using a recipe I can't seem to find now. Basically, the gist of it was to substitute eggs with the squash with a ratio of 1/2 cup of puréed squash to every cup of flour. Since the recipe did not include any onions or garlic, I had to add some, but I made the mistake of not puréeing the onions and garlic with the squash.


After letting the I rolled the dough with the pasta machine Teri lent me, then cooked them. Delicious! Though I do need to learn how to use that machine a little better...


Since I had a zucchini hanging about, I started two batches of pickles: one refrigerator pickles and one batch of bread and butter pickles from Andrea Chesman's Favorite Pickles and Relishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contextual Links