Thursday, November 3, 2011

4 November 2011

Since there was a little more than a gallon left of milk, I made a batch of mozzarella. It came out very well and went well with fresh loaves of rosemary bread.

I started on the cabbages that await in the cellar and managed to get through all of the ones in the garden basket--all five pound's worth.

Using the Wine Sauerkraut recipe from Sharon Astyk's Independence Days, I made a batch of sauerkraut. I had to cut the recipe in half since 10 pounds were called for and I processed only five (so far). The Cuisinart worked a treat cutting the cabbage into smaller pieces. The only tricky part was finding a plate large enough to cover the cabbage and weight it down while it ferments. Thank goodness the pantry is nice and cool so that the sauerkraut can ferment in below 70 degrees F temperature. The next step comes tomorrow--adding the wine....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contextual Links